1. Information Collection and Use
1.1 Information You Give Sevi
Whenever you open an account, complete an online form or use the Sevi Service, we may collect your personal data from the following types of information: Personal information – your name, National Identity Card Number, address, phone number, email, business registration number and other similar information. Financial information – bank account numbers, paybill numbers and/or credit card numbers that you link to your Sevi account or give us when you use the Services. Before permitting you to use the Services, we may require you to provide additional information, including but not limited to your date of birth, social security number and other personal and/or business information. We may use this information to verify your identity or other information you provide. We may also obtain sensitive personal and/or business data about you during the completion of an online form. If you volunteer such information, you will be consenting to our processing it for the purpose of due diligence and earning Sevi points.
1.2. Information Sevi Learns from Your Use
When you visit the Sevi mobile application or use the Services, we may collect information and / or monitor your use of the Services through data sent to us by your computer, mobile phone or any other device. This information may include your IP address, device information including but not limited to identifier, name and type, operating system, location, mobile network information and standard web log information, such as your browser type, traffic to and from our site, the pages you accessed on our mobile application, and any other available information. We may also collect information about your use and interaction with our mobile application or the Services. For example, we may evaluate your computer, mobile phone or other access device to identify any malicious software or activity that may affect the availability of the Services. When you use the Services, we may also store information based on your usage history. This includes, but is not limited to, details of your purchases, instalment payments, content you viewed, event information, click stream information, Sevi Point tasks, and cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your account. We may also collect information about you from any contact you have with any of our services or employees, such as, with our customer support team, in surveys, or through interactions with our affiliates.
1.3. Cookies and Anonymous Identifiers
1.4. Information Obtained from Third Parties
1.5. Information We Collect from Seller Payment Portals
The information we receive from Sellers and service providers that maintain your purchase history and this may vary depending on the information made available by those providers. But, in general, we collect the following types of identifiers, commercial information, and other personal information from your frequent purchases and transactions with your Sellers:
- Information about your order;
- Account information, including your account identifiers;
- Information about your purchase history both current and historical;
- Information about payment methods, including banking details, mobile money details, balances owed (if any), payment amounts and dates, and transaction history;
- Identifiers and information about the account owner(s), including name, email address, phone number, and address information; and
- Information about account transactions, including amount, date, payee, type, quantity, price, location, involved securities (if any), and a description of the transaction;
- The data collected from your account includes information from all your accounts (e.g., previous purchases and loans) accessible through a single set of account credentials.
2. How Sevi protects your information
2.1. Safety Policies
Sevi stores and processes your information maintaining physical, electronic and procedural safeguards. We maintain physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems and use safeguards such as firewalls and data encryption. We enforce physical access controls to our buildings, and we authorize access to personal information only for those employees or agents who require it to fulfil the responsibilities of their jobs. We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data, for example:
- access to your account is controlled by phone number verification and PIN which are unique to you
- we store your personal data on secure servers
- payment details are encrypted using SSL technology Whilst we will use all reasonable efforts to safeguard your personal data, you acknowledge that the use of the internet is not entirely secure and for this reason we cannot guarantee the security or integrity of any personal data which are transferred from you or to you via the internet.
We may monitor and record communications with you (such as telephone conversations, chat, support tickets and emails) for the purpose of quality assurance, training, fraud prevention and compliance.
2.3. Credit Checking
To enable us and other companies in our group to make credit decisions about you and/or your company and for fraud prevention and money laundering purposes, we may search the files of credit reference agencies (who will record the search). We may disclose information about how you conduct your account to such agencies and your information may be linked to records relating to other people living at the same address with whom you are financially linked. Other credit grantors may use this information to make credit decisions about you and the people with whom you are financially associated, as well as for fraud prevention, debtor tracing and money laundering purposes. If you provide false or inaccurate information and we suspect fraud, we will record this.
3. How Sevi uses your information.
3.1. To Improve Our Service
Sevi uses information to perform and improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and provide anonymous reporting for clients and investors. For example, we may use information to provide customer service and support, process transactions, resolve disputes, collect payments, prevent illegal activities, customize the Services, reduce risk to all parties involved in our transactions, and verify the accuracy of information.
3.2. To Serve You and Better Protect Your Data
We may use information to protect you, our partners, Sevi, and others from fraud, malicious activity, and other privacy and security-related concerns and to provide customer support to you, including to help respond to your inquiries related to our service or developers’ applications.
3.3. Other Purposes
These purposes include:
- to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us
- research, statistical analysis and behavioural analysis
- customer profiling and analysing your purchasing preferences
- marketing—see Marketing and opting out below
- fraud prevention and detection
- billing and order fulfilment
- credit scoring and credit checking—see Credit checking below
- customizing instalment proposals to your particular profile
- customising our mobile application and its content to your particular preferences
- to notify you of any changes to our mobile application or to our services which may affect you
- security vetting
- improving our services
4. When Sevi shares your information
4.1. For Our Business Purposes
We share your information for a number of business purposes: To enforce any contract with you; With our data processors and other service providers, partners, or contractors in connection with the services they perform for us; With credit reference bureaus. If we believe in good faith that disclosure is appropriate to comply with applicable law, regulation, or legal process (such as a court order or subpoena); In connection with a change in ownership or control of all or a part of our business (such as a merger, acquisition, reorganization, or bankruptcy); Between and among Sevi and our current and future parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and other companies under common control or ownership; As we believe reasonably appropriate to protect the rights, privacy, safety, or property of you, our partners, Sevi, and others; or For any other notified purpose with your consent. We may collect, use, and share information in an aggregated, de-identified, or anonymized manner (that does not identify you personally) for any purpose permitted under applicable law. This includes creating or using aggregated, de-identified, or anonymized data based on the collected information to develop new services and to facilitate research.
4.2. When Required by Law
We will share your information with any party when required by law or by a government request to do so or to combat fraud or criminal activity.
5. How Sevi does NOT use your information
5.1. Selling Information to Third Parties
We do not sell or rent personal information that we collect.
6. Third-party services
6.1 Third-party cookies
We work with third-party suppliers who may also set cookies on our website, for example WooCommerce, Metabase, Google Analytics, YouTube. These third-party suppliers are responsible for the cookies they set on our site. If you want further information, please go to the website for the relevant third party. You will find additional information in the table below.
6.2 How to turn off cookies
If you do not want to accept cookies, you can change your browser settings so that cookies are not accepted. If you do this, please be aware that you may lose some of the functionality of this website. For further information about cookies and how to disable them please go to: About Cookies
7. Children’s Privacy
These Services do not address anyone under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under 18. In the case we discover that a child under 18 has provided us with personal information, we immediately delete this from our servers. If you are a parent or guardian and you are aware that your child has provided us with personal information, please contact us so that we will be able to do necessary actions.
8. What are your options?
If you no longer wish to receive notifications about our Services, you may change your notification preferences by emailing email@example.com. Alternatively, you may be able to indicate your preference by logging into your account and adjusting your preferences or by following the directions provided with the communication. Sevi reserves the right to close or limit access to your account should you opt out of the crucial notices that are required to perform the Sevi Service. You are still responsible for any amounts due to Sevi even if we close or limit access to your account.
8.2. SMS Messaging
You can opt out of receiving SMS messages by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may be able to indicate your preference by logging into your account and adjusting your preferences or by following the directions provided with the communication. Again, Sevi reserves the right to close or limit access to your account should you opt out of the crucial notices that are required to perform the Sevi Service. You are still responsible for any amounts due to Sevi even if we close or limit access to your account.
8.3. Access Your Information
8.4. Transfers of data out of Kenya
We may need to transfer your personal data to USA, the Netherlands, Germany (all of which are located outside the Republic of Kenya*) for the purpose of using secure servers. Any sale of your data will be subject to a Data Protection Commissioner approved contract which will safeguard your privacy rights and give you remedies in the unlikely event of a security breach.
8.5. Your Rights
You have the right to require us to correct any inaccuracies in your data free of charge. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details)
- specify the information that is incorrect and what it should be replaced with. You also have the right to ask us to stop processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. If you wish to exercise this right you should:
- put your request in writing (an email sent to email@example.com with a header that says ‘Unsubscribe’ is acceptable)
- provide us with enough information to identify you (e.g. account number, username, registration details)
8.7. Contact Sevi